Unpopular opinion: YOU EARN THE RIGHT TO DIET.
I've posted my thoughts on dieting on Instagram before and because it's such a common problem I see with people I'd like to go a little further into it. Dieting comes down to this: If you can’t meet the most simple basics of health you don’t have the right to put more stress on your body. Your body isn’t in an optimal state to have MORE stress placed on it (bc that’s what decreasing cals is to the body...stress).
Eating less is easy. Nobody wants to be told about all the other things they should be doing that not only decreases the stress placed on the body but also allows for weight loss to happen.
These basics include:
1. Circadian cycles-8hrs of sleep (10ish pm-6ish am)
2. Drinking at least half of your body weight in ounces . (For ex I’m 126lbs so I should be at around 65oz. I feel best when I’m at 100 though because I’m very physically active.)
3. Are you moving outside of working out? Can you get 10,000ish steps a day?
4. Are you avoiding foods you’re allergic to?
5. Are you eating primarily whole foods & getting enough fiber? (About 30g/day depending on the person)
If you already feel like crap & aren’t meeting these basics, decreasing your food intake is most likely not going to make you feel any better & it’s not going to make it any easier to lose weight.
Go through this checklist even if you’re not trying to lose weight. Figure out what you’re not doing or could be doing better & do it. You’re going to find that you’re going to FEEL better & you're body will thank you by possibly even losing weight...